CHICKPEA VEGGIE BURGER RECIPE
Are you on the hunt for a delicious and healthy vegan burger option? Why not try making your own flavorful and nutritious chickpea veggie burger from scratch? Not only is it a healthier alternative to traditional burgers, store-bought veggie burgers, or highly processed vegan burgers, but it’s also easy to customize to your liking. In this article, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of creating the perfect chickpea veggie burger, including tips on how to achieve the perfect texture and flavor. From selecting the right ingredients to cooking the burger to perfection, we’ve got you covered. So, grab your apron and get ready to impress your taste buds with this delicious and satisfying homemade burger.
SEASONING FOR CHICKPEA BURGERS
These homemade veggie burger patties are not only easy to make but they are easy to season, with just salt and pepper you can get a delicious veggie burger. However, if you are looking to add more flavor to these chickpea burgers you can always add fresh chopped herbs, dried herbs, and spices.
- Fresh cilantro.
- Onion powder.
VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS CHICKPEA VEGGIE BURGERS
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, and essential nutrients. They are also low in fat and calories, making them a healthy addition to your diet. Chickpea veggie burgers can help you meet your daily protein and fiber needs, making them a great option for vegetarians and vegans. They are also gluten-free and can be made with a variety of ingredients to suit your taste preferences.
The great thing about chickpea veggie burgers is that you can customize them to your liking. Here are some variations and substitutions you can try:
For this recipe, I used a few fresh vegetables (grated or chopped); however, you can also add more fresh vegetables to the mixture for extra nutrition and flavor. Here you can find a few ideas to inspire you.
- Green onion/spring onion.
- Pepper; such as bell pepper, red pepper, etc.
In addition to this, you can also add canned or cooked veggies; for example sweetcorn, and garden peas.
USE DIFFERENT BEANS
If you don’t have chickpeas or garbanzo beans, you can also use other ones instead; such as black beans, kidney beans, red lentils, green lentils, brown lentils, etc.
OTHER WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS
Wholesome ingredients are key for a plant-based diet, so the less processed the better. If you want to add other healthy and nutritious ingredients you can use nuts; for example, walnuts and pecan. Furthermore, you can chop them up if you want them as a minced beef alternative.
TOPPING IDEAS FOR CHICKPEA BURGERS
Chickpea veggie burgers are delicious on their own, but they are even better with your favorite toppings. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Lettuce leaves.
- Sundried tomatoes.
- Mashed avocado.
- Wild rocket/arugula.
- Vegan cheese.
- Caramelized onions.
Lastly, you can also serve the burgers with a side of sweet potato fries, coleslaw, or a salad for a complete meal.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CHICKPEA VEGGIE BURGERS
1. Can I freeze chickpea veggie burgers?
Yes, you can freeze the patties before cooking them. To freeze, place the patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until solid. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or a freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months. To cook from frozen, thaw the patties in the fridge overnight and cook as directed.
2. Can I make chickpea veggie burgers without eggs?
Yes, you don’t have to make these chickpea burgers with eggs. Instead, you can use flax egg, chia seeds soaked in water, or aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas).
3. How do I prevent the burgers from falling apart?
Make sure the mixture is well combined and not too dry. If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it holds together. You can refrigerate the patties for 30 minutes before cooking to help them firm up.
4. Do I need a large food processor to make chickpea burgers?
No. I chopped and grated some of the ingredients, and for the chickpeas, I used a potato masher. Depending on the consistency and texture you want to get you can make more creamy or rustic chickpea burgers.
5. Do I need a burger press to make chickpea burgers?
No. I used one as I wanted to make them with that shape and also to make them all even. So if you don’t have one don’t worry, you can make them with your hands and give them a burger shape too.
THIS RECIPE FOR BURGER PATTIES GOES WELL WITH:
- Also, try this chickpea burger with black olive paté.
- 1 Canned chickpeas.
- 1 Red onion.
- 1 Celery stick.
- 1 Small carrot.
- 2 Garlic cloves.
- 3 Tbsp. of Chickpea flour.
- ½ Tsp. of Sodium bicarbonate.
- ½ Tsp. of Himalayan salts.
- ½ Tsp. of Garlic powder.
- A handful of fresh parsley.
- Olive oil for cooking.
- To prepare the chickpeas, drain and rinse them (keep the chickpea liquid in a small container). Then, transfer them to a large bowl and mash them with a fork or potato masher until they are roughly mashed but still have some texture.
- Next, add the chopped red onion, chopped garlic cloves, chopped celery, grated carrot, salt, garlic powder, chickpea flour, sodium bicarbonate, and parsley to the bowl. Mix well with your hands until all the ingredients are combined.
- Divide the mixture into 6 to 7 equal portions and form each portion into a patty shape with your hands. The patties should be about 1 cm thick and 3-4 inches in diameter. If the mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it holds together.
- To cook the chickpea veggie burgers, heat a non-stick large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the burgers to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- For super healthy chickpea burgers, you can also grill the burgers on a grill pan or outdoor grill.
- Serve the cooked patties on a bun with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition InformationYield 7 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 91Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 215mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 4g
The Nutritional values presented on this table are only estimates. The values can also vary depending on the cooking method, ingredients, product brands etc. This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.