This lovely and delicious vegan masala is a great dish to prepare with chickpeas or kala chana for a protein rich meal. You can also add fresh spinach to this flavorful indian curry recipe.
- Blender or hand blender.
- 1 cup Basmati rice.
- 2 cups Water.
- 1 Large onion.
- 2 Garlic cloves.
- 1 tsp. Ginger paste (I used frozen).
- 4 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 can Chopped tomatoes.
- Gram masala powder.
- Himalyan salt.
- 150 ml. Coconut milk.
- 1 can Chickpeas or Kala chana (400gr.).
- 60 gr. Cashew nuts.
- Fresh spinach for ganish.
- Wash the Basmati rice under running cold water until water runs clear. Also you can rinse the rice around 3 or 4 times. Soak the rice for around 20 minutes (if you have time to spare or prepare this part in advance, the longer you soak the rice the better).
- After the 20 minutes, cook the rice with 2 cups of water.
- Peel and diced the onion, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion until translucent or tender.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Season to taste with: masala curry, tumeric and himalayan salt.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes (you can use fresh chopped tomatoes too) and mix well.
- Once it's cooked to your taste, blend the sauce to get a smooth texture. Then add the coconut milk, chickpeas, mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Lastly, add the cashew nuts (you can leave some for decoration/serving).
- Serve the rice on the plates and pour the masala sauce on top.
- Decorate with spinach leaves and cashew nuts.