VEGAN BANANA BREAD RECIPE
This amazing recipe is the favorite banana bread recipe in our house that we love to make on weekends. So, you might be wondering: how to make the best banana bread? is it expensive to make? do I need loads of complicated ingredients to use?
Making vegan banana bread is not only easy and simple to make, but also is affordable too. To make this vegan dish you will just a few cheap ingredients; such as ripe bananas, sugar, oil, and flour. With only these few ingredients, you will get a delicious and moist banana bread recipe.
Additionally, you can add more ingredients as I did; for example, chopped walnuts and sultanas that go well with them. Although this addition to the recipe can be more expensive than the other banana bread recipe ingredients, you will only need a small quantity.
BANANA BREAD FLAVORINGS
To make this banana bread I didn’t want to use any additional flavoring ingredients; such as mixed spices. This is because overripe bananas have a great banana flavor and I wanted this to be the star of this yummy banana bread recipe. However, many banana bread recipes include flavorings that go well with the banana flavor. For more aromatic ingredients ideas to add and make your favorite banana bread recipe check the following list.
- Ground cinnamon.
- Cocoa powder.
- Nut butter; for example peanut butter and almond butter.
- Desiccated coconut.
- Vanilla extract.
Lastly, I used brown sugar for this delicious banana bread recipe; however, there are other alternatives to sweetening this recipe and even some sugar-free options. Also, remember that as overripe bananas tend to be sweet naturally, you won’t need as much for this classic banana bread recipe.
SWEETENING ALTERNATIVES TO BROWN SUGAR
- Maple syrup.
- Coconut sugar.
As a vegan recipe, this is an eggless banana bread recipe. Mashed bananas are a great egg substitute for vegan recipes; such as for baking recipes. Therefore, by using mashed bananas you will already have your egg replacement for this recipe, and also works well. Moreover, if you are looking for other egg replacements to add to this recipe or other vegan recipes, then check the list below.
- Apple sauce.
- Flax eggs.
- Chia seeds (soaked in water).
BANANA BREAD FLOUR OPTIONS
This delicious banana bread was made with self-raising flour; however, there are other flour alternatives that you can try. If you are going to make banana bread with gluten-free flour the bread texture might be different than the one you get with self-raising flour. In addition to this, if you are choosing plain flour (wheat flour or gluten-free option) you will need to add a raising agent to your vegan banana bread mixture. For example, you can add baking soda or baking powder to the batter.
- Almond flour.
- Coconut flour.
- Gluten-free flour blend.
- Wheat flour.
- Whole wheat flour.
- Whole wheat pastry flour.
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR BANANA BREAD RECIPE
For this recipe, I used chopped walnut and sultanas and the end result was really good. I used these ingredients in the banana mixture but you can also add them as a topping to decorate your banana bread. The options are endless and you can try loads of them. Here you can find a few options, if you tried others let us know in the comments and we will add them to the list!
- Vegan chocolate chips.
- Pecan walnuts.
- Chopped dates.
THIS BANANA BREAD RECIPE GOES WELL WITH:
- Also, try this delicious banana bread with banana chips.
- 3 Medium overripe bananas.
- 80 gr. of Brown sugar.
- 50 ml. of Vegetable oil.
- 155 gr. of Self-raising flour.
- A pinch of Salt.
- 30 gr. of chopped walnuts.
- 20 gr. of Sultanas.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C degrees (356 °F approx.).
- Prepare a loaf pan, spread a tsp. of vegetable oil, and remove any excess. Then, sprinkle 1 tbsp. of flour and spread evenly on the base and the sides of the loaf pan*.
- Peel the overripe bananas and place them in a large bowl. With a help of a fork prepare a mashed bananas mixture.
- Pour the vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil, you can use a different oil of your choice), and add the brown sugar. Mix well.
- Sieve the flour and add it to the banana bread batter, together with a pinch of salt and integrate well.
- Add the chopped walnuts and sultanas and mix well together.
- Pour the banana bread batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Place the loaf pan in the center of the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the loaf pan from the, and as the banana bread might be too brown you can cover the loaf pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the banana bread back in the oven and cook for another 20 minutes.
- You will know when your banana bread recipe is done when you insert a knife or a toothpick and comes out clean**.
- Let the vegan banana bread cool down at room temperature and then place this delicious recipe on a serving plate. Cut in slices of around 1cm.
*Alternatively, you can also use parchment paper.
*Cooking times can vary depending on the oven you are using. I used a fan-assisted electric oven.
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 92Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 101mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 1g
The Nutritional values presented on this table are only estimates. The values can also vary depending on the cooking method, ingredients, product brands etc. This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.