SEASONING FOR SMASHED POTATOES
Although to prepare this dish is recommended to use small to medium potatoes, you can use large potatoes but this will increase the cooking times. In addition to this, it is also important to clean really well the potatoes as you will cook them with the skin and you can also enjoy eating it later. On the other hand, avoid using potatoes that have green parts and if they have sprouts remove them too.
For the purpose of choosing spices to season these smashed potatoes, there are some classic ones that go really well with potato recipes. With this in mind, you can combine what traditionally goes well; for example ground nutmeg with other spices that you also enjoy.
Accordingly, here you can find a small list of classic seasonings for potatoes:
- Onion powder.
- Black pepper.
- Curry powder.
EXTRA INGREDIENTS FOR SMASHED POTATOES
If you want to add more flavours to this recipe, besides the seasoning ideas listed above you can include other ingredients. In fact, adding more vegetables will not only create yummy flavours but also a colourful and inviting dish too.
On the other hand, you can add further ingredients after cooking; such as baked beans in tomato sauce. Moreover, you can add some of these ingredients before or after baking the potatoes in the oven, so don’t worry if you forgot to include them before baking. Check the list below for more ideas.
- Chopped garlic.
- Spring onions.
- Peppers: red, yellow or green.
- Sweet corn.
- Vegan butter or margarine.
- Grated vegan cheese.
THIS RECIPE GOES WELL WITH:
- Last but not least, try this recipe with Vegan gravy sauce.
Smashed potatoes vegan
Great and easy side dish with few ingredients. Enjoy this delicious and filling potatoes recipe with its soft center and crispy outside.
- 14 Small/medium potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon of Olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic powder.
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika.
- A pinch of Himalayan salt.
- Wash really well the potatoes. I cooked them with a steamer for around 25 minutes. You can boil them too for 15 minutes or until the center gets soften.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C degrees (392 °F approx.).
- When you pierce the potatoes with a fork and they are tender place them on a baking/oven tray with olive oil on the base. If you want to reduce the amount of oil for this recipe, you can use a non-stick baking paper.
- Then, with a potato masher push down on the potatoes. If you don't have a potato masher, you can use a fork for small potatoes or a glass/mug.
- Peel and diced a ½ red onion and sprinkle on top of the potatoes.
- Season to taste with: olice oil, salt, garlic powder and paprika.
- Roast in the oven for around 25 minutes or until they start to get crispy outside.
I also tried a fork and works well too, specially for small potatoes.
I used Himalayan salt for this recipe, but you can use other salt, such as: sea salt.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 483Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 73mgCarbohydrates 103gFiber 11gSugar 6gProtein 12g
The Nutritional values presented on this table are only estimates. The values can also vary depending on the cooking method, ingredients, product brands etc. This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix