SWEET POTATO BROWNIES VEGAN
These absolutely delicious and fudgy sweet potato brownies taste so good you will make this recipe every weekend. Additionally, you will have many options and alternatives to make this delicious vegan recipe. Furthermore, this is also a great recipe not only to serve as a dessert together with vegan vanilla ice cream but also to have for breakfast with a lovely cup of tea or coffee.
HOW TO PREPARE THE SWEET POTATOES FOR THESE BROWNIES?
If you are familiar with sweet potato pie or other baking recipes using mashed sweet potatoes this should be a straightforward recipe for you. After trying other options; such as baking the sweet potatoes in the oven I prefer to boil or steam them. As a result, I decided to boil the sweet potatoes on this occasion. In order to do that, I washed and peeled the sweet potatoes and boiled them for around 15 minutes, then I rinsed them (kept the water to make a vegetable soup later on) and prepared the mash. To be fair this process was easy and it didn’t consume much time.
Alternatively, you can also use canned sweet potato, pumpkin puree, canned pumpkin, or even mashed banana to make this brownie recipe. Moreover, if you are interested in trying this last option you can check this banana brownie recipe.
ALTERNATIVE INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
This sweet potato brownie also has peanut butter, sugar, and regular flour as part of the ingredients. However, you can also use other options if you want to replace them.
NUT BUTTER ALTERNATIVES
Nut butters like peanut butter can be a great alternative to replace eggs. For this reason, I use peanut butter to make sweet potato brownies to make this vegan recipe. If you have a food allergy or intolerance or prefer to use other options to replace eggs in these sweet potato brownies, here you can find other great vegan options to try.
- Almond butter.
- Cashew butter.
- Sunflower seed butter.
- Apple sauce.
- Flax eggs.
- Chia seeds (soaked in water).
Although this recipe has mashed sweet potato, which has natural sweetness itself, it also has sugar. If you don’t want to use sugar or refined sugar, there are other options that you can use.
- Maple syrup.
- Brown sugar.
- Coconut sugar.
Even though this is not a gluten-free sweet potato brownie recipe nowadays we have more and more flour options than just wheat flour to bake a gluten-free recipe. If you want to make this delicious recipe gluten-free check the following list of the alternative options you can use. But bear in mind that the quantities you need might vary from the ones used in this recipe. Also, the texture and consistency of your gluten-free sweet potato brownies can vary too.
- Almond flour.
- All-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Plain gluten-free flour.
- Self-raising gluten-free flour.
- Oats flour.
- Rice flour.
- Chickpea flour.
- Corn flour.
- Coconut flour.
- Potato starch.
- Tapioca starch.
- Rice starch.
MAKE IN ADVANCE & STORAGE
To conclude, there is no doubt that this is an easy and delicious sweet potato brownie recipe and it’s a great recipe to make in advance too. To store these sweet potato brownies, first let them cool completely and then place them in a lidded container (preferably an airtight container). This also applies if you have leftovers.
THESE FUDGY SWEET POTATO BROWNIES GO WELL WITH:
- Also, try these super yummy sweet potato brownies with banana chips.
- 250 gr. of Sweet potato.
- 1 Tsp. of Vanilla extract.
- ½ Cup of Sugar.
- 3 Tbsp. of Vegetable oil.
- ½ Cup of Peanut butter.
- ½ Cup of Unsweetened cocoa powder.
- ½ Tsp. of Baking powder.
- ⅔ Cup of Self-raising flour.
- A pinch of salt.
MASHED SWEET POTATO
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cook them in boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are soft and tender to make a mash.
- Once they are cooked completely, drain and make a mashed sweet potato with a fork or a potato masher.
SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees or 400 F.
- Place the mashed sweet potato into a large bowl mix and add the rest of the wet ingredients (vanilla extract, peanut butter, and vegetable oil). Integrate them well.
- In a small bowl place the dry ingredients: unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, flour, and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients not all at once, but on stages.
- In a baking dish/loaf pan with parchment paper (I prefer to grease the baking dish and sprinkle some flour) pour the sweet potato brownies mixture and spread well with a spatula.
- Place your sweet potato brownies in the center of the oven and bake for around 20 minutes*.
- To check if your sweet potato brownies are done, insert a knife, and has to come clean (you can also try with a toothpick inserted).
- Let your brownies cool completely at room temperature.
*Cooking times can vary depending on the oven you use. I used an electric fan-assisted oven.
Nutrition InformationYield 9 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 245Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 0mgSodium 231mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 3gSugar 14gProtein 6g
The Nutritional values presented on this table are only estimates. The values can also vary depending on the cooking method, ingredients, product brands etc. This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.